Library Director (full time)
Collingswood Public Library
Applications accepted through January 8, 2016
The Collingswood Public Library seeks a Library Director who believes in exceeding expectations. Our new Library Director will report to the Collingswood Public Library’s Board of Trustees, and will work with colleagues in the Library and throughout the Borough of Collignswood, as well as the Mayor and Commissioners, to ensure the Library continues to serve the educatonal, social, and technological needs of our neighbors in Collingswood.
- Supervising all operations of the Library according to the policies and authority delegated by the Board of Trustees;
- Creating and implementing a strategic vision, and communicating about its progress to each of the Library’s constituencies;
- Ensuring that the Library’s physical space is used effectively, and making proactive arrangements to address needs the community will have for its Library building;
- Overseeing programs and events, marketing and outreach, and assessment and evaluation of Library services;
- Fostering a work environment that promotes diversity, good morale, efficient and effective operations, a sense of ownership among colleagues, and outcomes that improve well being within the community;
- Maintaining effective work relationships with the Board of Trustees, municipal officials, Friends of the Library, community organizations, Collingswood schools, library associates, vendors, and the general public;
- Developing an annual budget and filing the annual State Report, recommending budget adjustments, and monitoring expenditures to ensure that Library resources are allocated appropriately and effectively.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate their understanding and expertise in the following areas:
- Principles, practices, and procedures of library operations and administration;
- Contemporary best practices for libraries;
- Budget preparation;
- Interpersonal and written communication;
- Leading a diverse team of library professionals in setting and achieving goals;
- Educating colleagues, cardholders, and guests in library technologies, desktop and hosted software, research skills, and task-based activities;
- Library-specific techniques and technology and how these tools relate to materials made available for circulation and reference;
- Current literature, trends, and developments in librarianship.
All candidates should have a Master’s degree in Library Science and least three years of relevant management experience. Candidates should also have a valid driver’s license and should be certified as a Professional Librarian by the State of New Jersey or have the ability to obtain this certification within six months of employment. This position requires working some weekend and evening hours.
About Collingswood and the Collingswood Public Library
Collingswood is located just outside Philadelphia. We work hard to build a strong community: we have a nationally recognized Farmers Market; we are designated as one of twenty Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia; and our main street, Haddon Avenue (on which the Library is located) was recently named a Top Ten Great Street by the American Planning Association. We are also known for our town-wide events, including our Book Festival, May Fair, and Green Festival. The small, independent Collingswood Public Library reflects its community: our neighbors entrust approximately 55,000 items to the Library’s seven full-time and eight part-time employees, and rely on us to be creative, innovative, economical, fair, and kind.
Negotiable. Inlcudes a competitive benefits package.
Send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references via email to email@example.com (preferred) or via postal mail to Keith Hastings, Borough Administrator, 678 Haddon Avenue, Collingswood, NJ 08108. No phone calls please.